Tuesday, January 10, 2006

SmartBenefits Limitations


As a small business employer located in the District, the SmartBenefits program offered by Metro is a great way to help defray some of the costs of commuting for my employees using tax-free money.

However, yesterday I was reminded of the program’s limitations. I had a new employee start yesterday, but he lives in Baltimore and commutes by MARC train. Unfortunately, the SmartTrip card can’t be used on MARC and there is now way to move money from SmartTrip to the “unused” MetroChek fare cards, that MARC will accept for exchange.

I have a number of employees that fall into the same category. So for these few staff, my administrator has to purchase MetroCheks using a separate order form for processing through the mail, while purchases for everyone else can be done electronically. Where’s the benefit in that?

It would be great if SmartTrip cards could be used for all transportation across the region to include: MetroRail, MetroBus, MARC, MTA, BTCo, VRE, Ride-On, DASH, ART, CUE, Fairfax Connector, OTS, etc.

If SmartTrip cards could be used anywhere then my entire commute could be paid for my SmartBenefits including computing my bus-to-rail and rail-to-bus transfers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home