Friday, January 13, 2006

Comments back on my proposed Agenda

A fellow RAC member took exception to a few items on my Agenda and my comments. Our Meetings are the forum in which to discuss topics -- and not via email. Also, this is an organizing meeting an we should reconsider having a public comment period; and we wouldn't even have a way to address any issues ... as we are not yet organized." I was also asked to add "meeting format" to the list.

My response:

I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my email.

1. Yes, I agree that email is not the appropriate tool to address RAC organization issues. I had originally, planned on sending my email only to the WMATA organizers, but decided that other RAC members might want to comment on my agenda items (veto, expand, replace.) Normally, this would be a function of the Chair, but since we don’t have one yet, I thought it appropriate to email to the limited group for whom I have email. WMATA chose to make this an open meeting and did not give us an opportunity to get organized in advance. So, we’ll have to do some organization in public or in advance, like this.

2. I believe that we should have a comment period at the beginning of the meeting, just to set precedence. It’s best to follow the rules of the WAMTA Board of Directors initially. I believe they offer 2-5 minutes to those who have prepared written statements and have requested time. Yes, I understand we won’t be able to respond, but it is a good exercise in gathering information and soliciting input, none the less.

3. Yes, we should address meeting format, either in a group so we are ready for the next meeting, or in a committee. I was hoping at a minimum to standup the “RAC Rules Committee” to deal with these issues prior to the next RAC meeting. From past experience, I know it’s going to be impossible to expect 21 people to be able to discuss any issue without preparation and leadership. This lack of preparation and organization is why I’m recommending we form committees as quickly as possible to do the bulk of the RAC work.

Thanks,
Michael Snyder

I. Michael Snyder
wmata-rac@imsnyder.com

[I apologize for paraphrasing others' comments. My goal for this BLOG is to share my thoughts and ideas. I offer up these email posts only to clarify my own thoughts. I invite other RAC members to comment directly.]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home